Now that we’ve established my love for Mondays, I thought I would share some encouraging thoughts floating around in my brain that may help you feel a little brighter about your day. You know, in case you’re not a Monday person.
- “One idea at the right time could change everything.” (D.L.) I often wake up between 3:00-4:00 AM, and stay wide awake for a period of time — sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes an hour or two (it’s 4:31 AM as I write this). When I can’t sleep, I try to use my time wisely and read something positive, useful, powerful; something that will hopefully sink in and stick with me when I fall back to sleep, then carry on through my next day. Usually, I end up on Danielle Laporte’s website, reading her Truth Bombs and Über encouraging and beautifully crafted thoughts.Here’s a thought that I particularly love right now: Shift your energy from protecting yourself from failure to squeezing the life out of life. (Also, this is fantastic and warms my heart.)
- Today is not “just another day.” We can shape it into what we want it to be, which is a beautiful thing. I often have to pull myself to the side for a little chat with myself and decide to let go of negativity and approach a moment, a person, an awkward situation with my chin up and the decision to be happy. Happiness is a frame of mind, right? Shape today into a good day and give it all you’ve got!
- When in doubt, the Internet is here for you. I am in love with the Internet. Yes, sometimes it takes me down a rabbit hole that ends up eating away so much of my precious time. Sometimes it overloads my brain with garbage information that I really shouldn’t be cramming into my head. But sometimes I stumble upon some of the most beautiful, moving, truthful videos, articles, pictures. Example A: A fellow blogger/pal posted this last month, which made me cry at work because it was so beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWA2GbcnJU&index=4&list=LLbfSTYg7hHgTEMgXsXdc9kA.
- Love the little things today. Sometimes the smallest detail in my life can really make a moment a great one. Like right now, Lily is asleep next to me in bed. She’s upside down, and her leg is resting on my forearm as she loudly snores. It’s precious and makes me so happy to not be able to sleep and witness her cuteness. A moment of gratitude and love when I least expected it. Perspective! The little things.
- Nothing is permanent. Well, I guess some things may be permanent. But generally speaking, “this too shall pass.” Such a simple saying, and something that I grew up hearing in my Southern upbringing. But it’s oh so true. One of my favorite writers/speakers (Tara Brach) states that we should face what we feel, really feel it, then let it go. Much easier said than done, but something I try to embed in my life.
Hang in there….don’t hate on Monday! Remember that every day that we wake up is a good day. Life is what we make it!